Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Sea Dream

 You were my sweet love, brave when facing the waves of fractured dreams. Across the fields of wild grass, we met once under heavy beating sunrays and you fed me sweet things. Our summer promised to last for years, your tangled locks so sleek, your nose kissed by the sun. How could night and day meet in a third time, thriving at dusk?

 Yet you became my destruction, the collapse of my world. Sand swallowed all trails leading to you and they caged me once again, fearing for my senses. Often I thought them lost as well, until I took wing to find you.

 I thought I found you by the edge of the lake, your shimmering arm around me but instead I found myself transported to gentle, happy currents, the sweet song of merfolk drifting by me without haste. Silent echoes emanate to greet others as I deftly dive deeper to darker comfort. The sun is only a dim, fragmented star in a reflected world. The matter of breath does not concern me, for few are the cares that can pass through the glass divide. With a playful nudge at my side, the friendly whiskered fish leads me to my sunken treasure. His skin is as precious pearl, eyes unseeing, chains gripping his hands and feet.

 That beloved face, cold in the warm currents, one I hold gently now. Already, seaweed takes the place of my hair, my legs twining into one scaly member. As I am stripped away, my lips close over his and I give breath to his lungs. My grasp fails as he rises to the surface while I gently greet the sands.

 My eyes have already changed so that light reveals more and I watch contentedly as he is pulled out of the water. Then I examine the webbing between my green fingers, the light barely shining through. Then the inky cloud drifts closer until I am consumed and I smile a human smile one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment